Happy Parents Day! (A Holiday We Did Not Make Up)
July 23, 2017
Did you know the fourth Sunday in July is Parents’ Day in the US? (Yeah, neither did we…) But here at Jugl we are happy to take any opportunity we can find to celebrate the awesome and insane ride that is parenting! So, without further ado, here are our top 10 ways to celebrate Parents’ Day:
- Surprise your kids with something you all love to do, but normally wouldn’t do without telling them in advance (in our house that might be a last-minute trip to Six Flags Great America or to swim in Lake Michigan)
- Get a babysitter! Kidding (not kidding…)
- Family movie night. We recently enjoyed Disney’s McFarland, USA (Common Sense Media rated this as appropriate for ages 10+). For younger kids, try Secret Life of Pets or Storks if you missed either of those in theaters (Common Sense rated for 6+).
- Ice cream! Ideally, make your own sundaes. More mess, but way more fun!
- If you are lucky enough to still have your parents, call or visit them and say thank you! They love that!!
- Be active together: go for a walk or run, ride bikes, play catch, fly a kite. Anything outdoors, unplugged and fun!
- Try a game of “Rose and Thorn.” In our house, we each go around and take a turn saying our Rose (the best thing that happened this week), our Thorn (the worst thing), and our Clown (the funniest thing). It’s a great way to get a glimpse into what’s going on in their lives and how they think (and not to get too preachy, but it’s also a great way to model grace, humility and how you learn from and react to adversity).
- Cocktails! (Just the adults…cheers!)
- Eat out (I mean, it’s Parents’ Day, so unless your kids are old enough to cook and do dishes it’s only fair…)
- Be grateful : )
Hope you enjoy this newly discovered (to us) holiday as much as we plan to!! How will you celebrate? We’d love to hear from you via the links below or by email at email@example.com.